Why should you use Configuration Manager? How does this make your daily life as
a systems administrator easier? Although this book covers the features and benefits
of ConfigMgr in detail, it definitely helps to have some quick ideas to illustrate why
ConfigMgr is worth a look!
Here is a list of 10 scenarios that illustrate why you might want to use ConfigMgr:
1. The bulk of your department’s budget goes toward paying for teams of contractors to
perform OS and software upgrades, rather than paying talented people like yourself
the big bucks to implement the platforms and processes to automate and centralize
management of company systems.
2. You realize systems management would be much easier if you had visibility and
control of all your systems from a single management console.
3. The laptops used by the sales team have not been updated in more than two years
because they never come to the home office.
4. You don’t have enough internal manpower to apply updates to your systems manually
5. Within days of updating system configurations to meet corporate security requirements,
you find several have already mysteriously “drifted” out of compliance.
6. When you try to install Windows 7 for the accounting department, you discover it
cannot run on half the computers because they have only 256MB of RAM. (It would
have been nice to know that when submitting your budget requests!)
The Evolution of Systems Management 9
7. Demonstrating that your organization is compliant with regulations such as
Sarbanes-Oxley (SOX), the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act
(HIPAA), the Federal Information Security Management Act (FISMA), or < insert your
own favorite compliance acronym here > has become your new full-time job.
8. You spent your last vacation on a trip from desktop to desktop installing Office
9. Your production environment is so diverse and distributed that you can no longer
keep track of which software versions should be installed to which system.
10. By the time you update your system standards documentation, everything has
changed, and you have to start over again!